Saturday, November 22, 2014

heart beat

In January when I closed my Facebook account I said I was going to focus on my blogs.  Well, clearly that did not happen.
I taught myself how to knit and crochet again.  I cooked.  I baked.  My life was taken over by Pinterest but at least I was being creative. Rocco had the coolest home made valentines in his class.  Steven got a hand knit scarf that winter.  And I kept myself busy creating new things in the kitchen.
But I miss blogging.  I love writing.  But in order to write I need to have something to say.  I remember my sister telling me when I started my blog that "blogs become books".  We will see.
So, today I was flooded with some memories that have stayed with me all day.  I've been reflecting on my past and comparing it to my future.  Not in a critical way.  And I hope I never stop seeing change.
I was in cycle class this morning.  It is hard.  It continues to be hard even though I have been cycling once or twice a week since I had Rocco.
Three songs into class my heart was pounding. I was very well aware of my heart.  It made me think of all of the years I  spent in the past fearful of that beat.  Focused on that rhythm.
I was starving myself.  Throwing up.  Smoking cigarettes.  Doing drugs,  Drinking daily.  Consuming mass amounts of coffee.
My heart was abused.  It stopped.  It skipped beats.  It pounded.  It fluttered.
Sometimes I wondered when it was going to stop for good.  How long was I going to get away with living like this?  There were times I wanted to die.  Not bad enough to take my own life.  But I often thought God would just spare me one of those awful nights and end it all.  Peacefully in my sleep.  My heart would just stop beating.
I was aware of my heart when I had just finished my fourth 20 oz cup of coffee for the day.
I would notice my heart after I snorted a few lines of cocaine with nothing in my body but red wine for 24 hours.
I would notice my heart when I was making myself throw up for the 4th time that day.  After breakfast.
I noticed it when I would have to walk any length or lift something. Because I was weak. Feeble.  Dying.
I noticed my heart when it pumped like a machine gun in the middle of an anxiety attack that was most likely induced by alcohol withdrawal and starvation.
It amazes me that when I see doctors they tell me I'm the 'picture of perfect health'.
Today I am tremendously grateful I have done no damage to my heart.
It skips once in a while.  It flutters from time to time.  But I have a mild thyroid issue and was told it is pretty common.
I am not focused on my heartbeat anymore.  It feels good when it pounds.  I'm usually excited about something.  It is usually a sign that I am working my body.  Something I am actually able to do today.
I am not going to die.  Nor do I want to.  I want to live a long time.
Because today I have love in my heart.  Mind blowing, over the top, joyous, magnificent, magical love.  Love for things.  Love for people.  Love for food.  Love for God.
Love for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment